BASIC NOTES

Uranium Companies

There are very few pure uranium companies. Most companies, especially the small exploration type, are active in more than the uranium industry. This blog makes no attempt to guage the percentage of a companies activity that are related to the finding, mining or processing of uraniun. They all do, however, have some uranium activities (to the best of our review).

Merv's Uranium Indices

I have developed two Uranium Indices. They each have the same component stocks but are calculated using different methodologies. My weekly Index is based upon the average weekly performance of the component stocks. My daily Index is based upon the daily average of the component stocks open, high, low and close prices along with the daily average volume of all component stocks.

Click on the chart or table to enlage the view.



25 April 2010

WEEK-END COMMENTARY

ANOTHER COMPUTER CRASH

This past week I had BOTH of my computers totally crash on me, the desktop for the second time in two months. The laptop is being looked at by the technician and I am told the problem is a corrupted graphics card that cannot be replaced due to it being "welded" to the motherboard rather than a plug-in. I should have a working laptop on Monday. The desktop will be looked at following the laptop repair. In the mean time I cannot provide any commentary or charts as everything is in these two computers and not accessible.

I have my programs installed in both computers just in case one crashes but both crashing at the same time was not expected.

Sorry for any inconvenience.

Merv

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi Merv,

Sorry to hear about your computers, finicky things they are...

I remember a while ago that you spoke about getting 'whipsawed' when trading stocks. Do you have a specific strategy when placing stops that reduces getting stopped out and then the security takes off?

It may be as easy as placing the stop at the last break low...?

Thanks and keep up the great work.

Anonymous said...

always good to have 3rd net-laptop for emergencies...

VAIO® P Series Pocket-Style PC; world’s lightest 8” notebook featuring Intel's smallest processor and Windows 7® Home Premium - Emerald Green
VGNP720DG

Got A Watch said...

Hi Merv, Sorry to hear of your PC problems. Let me offer a few suggestions to try and help, since I have often been helped by your miner Blog posts.

I would suggest building 2 identical custom PCs (I build my own with only top quality components, I can provide you a list of parts I would use if you want) and then using a "backup-often" strategy, using a hard drive disc imaging program ( I recommend Acronis True Image, about $40 at Staples here) to an external hard drive or network attached storage (box of hard drives on the network).

I also put multiple hard drives in each PC, then it is very fast to make disc images of drive C: (primary with operating system and all important programs etc) to the secondary internal hard drive (takes me about 15 minutes), and then copy the images to the external hard drive/NAS (2 minutes with gigabit ethernet), and maybe burn to blank DVDs once in a while too, just in case.

If you have 2 identical PCs (matching hardware) you can restore the latest hard drive image to either working unit whenever you want (by booting with Acronis CD), and even if they both die at once you can still restore the drive image to any hard drive to recover the data.

Install Pioneer DVD burners (about $30 here, best reliability, least bad discs, I find) into both, and you can also burn vital data like your miner data to blank DVDs daily or weekly, as an additional precaution.

Some food for thought, if you need help just ask.

Merv said...

Thanks all for your concerns and recommendations. The laptop seems to have had a graphics card corrupted while the desktop (crashed for the second time in less than 2 months) had a hard drive defect. This being a new hard drive I think I got hosed by my previous technician.